Sunday, November 9, 2014

Her curiosity got the better of her and when her husband found out what she had done he raised his arm.......


And then she died a horrible, gruesome, bloody, painful death....or  actually she didn't, because she was saved by her brothers or the power of the narrative or by covering herself in feathers and honey and pretending she was a bird. 

The story of "Bluebeard", "The Robber Bridegroom" and "The Fitcher's Bird" are all fairly similar: there is a girl either just married or about to be married, she goes somewhere she shouldn't and narrowly escapes certain terrible death by either summoning help or saving herself. The heroines in these tales are different than in many others in that they play a key role in being saved. Although an old crone protects the young fiancé in "The Robber Bridegroom" and the young bride's brothers come to her rescue in "Bluebeard", the two heroines do play a part in their salvation: the fiancé in revealing her bridegroom's true nature and the bride in stalling Bluebeard and signaling for help from her brothers. Only in “The Fitcher’s Bird” does the heroine escape solely on her own cunning without any help from others. There is also the theme in each of these of curiosity especially in women being very detrimental or dangerous.

I liked all three of the stories for the most part. I do not agree with the idea that curiosity is dangerous, because no one would learn anything if no one was curious. I think I liked “The Fitcher’s Bird” the best however. I liked how the heroine saved her sisters and herself completely on her own merit and was able to kill the sorcerer who had been terrorizing everyone. Most of the time in fairy tales, the men are depicted as cunning and smart while the women are prizes or overly passive and waiting for a prince so I liked how the tale deviated in that aspect from the fairy tale norm.  

Although, I didn’t like the tale as much, I liked how in “The Robber Bridegroom” the girl was able to save her life through the power of the narrative. I have always believed that words are some of the most powerful things that we can use and I liked how that was reflected in the tale.

I liked all three tales-even though I don’t agree with the “curiosity is dangerous” lesson- because they are very different than the other Grimm tales and I liked how the heroines were instrumental in their own salvation instead of passively waiting to be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment